US Taxation of Foreign Aliens

Resident & Non-Resident

Stay In Touch With Us

United States citizens aren’t the only people who are required to pay income taxes to the IRS. If you’re a foreign alien (resident or non-resident) and you’ve spent a certain amount of time in the country, then you will be subject to the same tax rules as every other citizen of the United States. Those who fall into this category are green card holders and holders of nonimmigrant visas. 

If you’re in the latter category, you must also satisfy the substantial presence test in order to be required to pay income taxes. It may sound confusing, but you don’t need to worry. By working with Clifford, Ross, Raudenbush & Cooper, LLC, you’ll be able to file the right taxes without worrying about the IRS. Keep reading to learn more about what goes into US taxation of foreign aliens!

Man doing finances and calculate about cost to real estate investment and in other, tax system.

Taxes for Green Card and Nonimmigrant Visa Holders

Let’s go over green card and nonimmigrant visa holders and how taxes affect them. First off, green card holders are lawful permanent residents of the United States and, as such, they are required to pay U.S. taxes. This is true even if you spend most of your time abroad. Simply put, if you have a green card, you have to pay taxes. 

Nonimmigrant visa holders, on the other hand, are required to pay taxes if they satisfy the substantial presence test. In order to meet the standards of the test, nonimmigrant visa holders must be physically present within the USA for, at least, 31 days during the current year and 183 days during the three-year period, which includes the current year as well as the two years immediately prior. 

The specifics may be somewhat confusing but don’t fret! That’s why Clifford, Ross, Raudenbush & Cooper, LLC is here to help. If you’re unsure about your status or whether you satisfy the substantial presence test, then give us a call.

Clifford, Ross, Raudenbush & Cooper, LLC is Ready to Help!

You don’t want to get in trouble with the IRS. Contact Clifford, Ross, Raudenbush & Cooper, LLC today to learn more about the intricacies of US taxation of foreign aliens. Before long, you’ll have all the knowledge you require so you can file your taxes without worry!